Pages

Thursday, 25 October 2012

Marks of the amateur

"We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing."  Psalm 39:6


"Busy rushing"... that's me!  These last few months of being off work and my body stopping me from being my usual can't-sit-still self, has been pretty tough.  It's so hard for me to be still and rest, even though I know in my head that that's what my body needs.  Add into the mix that I'm also trying to figure out how to be a wife, and you soon get the picture that there's certainly been some frustrating moments.  

Just recently I've been pushing it a bit and trying to do too much - and my body tells me about it!  I think God's trying to teach me something though, and so I'm choosing to prick up my ears and listen.  

"Being in a hurry.  Getting to the next thing without fulling entering the thing in front of me.  I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry.  But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing... through all that haste I thought I was making up time.  It turns out I was throwing it away." - Mark Buchanan, The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Your Sabbath.

This comes from a different book that I'm reading, but I think I'll be investing in Mark Buchanan's book very soon, as it sounds like I could have a lot to learn from his experiences! 

"On every level of life, from housework to heights of prayer, in all judgement and efforts to get things done, hurry and impatience are sure marks of the amateur."  - Evelyn Underhill

This amateur has begun training in what it means to slow down, be still and enjoy each moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment